When a person thinks about guardianship they almost always assume it is in relation to a minor child. There are however, three types of situations where a guardian can be appointed by the court system for reasons other than custody.


Disabled Adult Child

When a disabled child reaches adulthood they have all the rights and responsibilities that go with coming of age. For some of these disabled individuals, these responsibilities are outside of their abilities. When this is the case, parents can file to be the legal guardian of their adult child so that they can continue to assist their child in adulthood.


Elderly Parent

There are times when a parent reaches an age or medical condition that they are no longer able to make sound decisions for themselves. Onset of certain disorders or physical disabilities may prevent the parent from doing simple things like paying their bills or getting routine medical care. If this occurs, an adult child of the parent can seek guardianship of their parent to assist them with these functions.


Minor Receives Large Sum Of Money or Assets

If a minor child inherits a large sum of money or assets or is awarded a large sum of money in a lawsuit, a parent can seek guardianship of that money or asset until the minor reaches adulthood. This type of guardian will not have easy access to the money or asset; they will only be in charge of making sure it is available when the child comes of age.

If you find that you are in need of becoming a guardian or selecting one for your loved one, you should consult with a Tulsa guardianship lawyer. Your attorney will know exactly what needs to be done to protect your loved one.

Your Tulsa guardianship lawyer will also make sure that all parts of the guardian responsibilities are clearly stated so that the best interest of your loved one will always be a top priority.